Key Stage 3
In Year 7 students study units in:
- Using computers safely – staying safe while using the internet and social networking, searching, using email, keeping data safe
- Visual programming – using visual coding techniques to solve problems online at code.org.
- Spreadsheets – forecasting profits and losses in a business context.
- Kodu – creating a virtual world using Microsoft Kodu – more visual programming.
- Databases – using query techniques in databases to solve problems.
- Flowol flowcharting – using flowcharts to control virtual machinery online.
In Year 8 students move on to units in:
- Computer systems – computer components, binary numbers, the future of computing
- Introduction to Python – writing programs using the world’s 2nd most popular high-level programming language
- Networking – how networks and the internet work
- HTML & website development
- Computer Crime and Cyber Security
- More Python – building on the introductory unit, to prepare students for programming at GCSE.