Homework Advice For Parents
To succeed in school, higher education and in the work place, students need to develop independent learning skills.
Doing homework extends the time students spend on active learning and it extends and consolidates what has been learned in class.
It is a basic expectation that students complete their homework to the best of their ability and by the due date.
we will do our best to:
- set homework according to the homework timetable;
- set tasks that are suitable and achievable;
- assess homework and give feedback and encouragement, following up exceptionally good homework with rewards;
- provide support for students at school, for example, homework clubs and library facilities.
Students need to:
- record homework accurately in their planner;
- check they have the resources necessary to complete the homework (e.g. worksheets);
- have a regular, timed homework slot in the evening and at weekends aiming to complete the set tasks by 9pm;
- respond to the teacher's comments by correcting mistakes where indicated and improving work if required.
How parents can help their child with homework:
Sign the planner each week stating you have seen homework completed;
- Encourage your child to explain homework tasks to you;
Try to provide your child with a suitable place and the right equipment to do their homework
Talk to your child about their homework
Take an interest in how well they did in previous homework. Praise all praiseworthy efforts!
Help your child to find out information from books, Internet etc. be careful not to do the work for them!
Ensure your child reads at home every day for at least 20 minutes
- If your child is preparing for a test or exam, help by testing them on the key facts
- Encourage your child to do their homework to the best of their ability
SAM Learning, an on-line learning website, is now available for all our students to use. It should be accessed through the latest version of Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome or Safari.
Log-in is as follows:
Centre ID: EN1KS
User ID: student's date of birth followed by initials in capitals e.g 090689TS
Password: Same as user ID
How long should students spend on homework
Homework for Years 7 and 8 should be 30 minutes per subject per day.
About 45 minutes per subject (on average 2 or 3 subjects per night).
Years 10 and 11
About 1 hour per subject (on average 2 subjects per night), plus preparation for supervised assignments.
Years 12 and 13
About 3 to 4 hours per night.