Revision Advice and Sites
Please see below a list of some useful revision & education websites and advice.
GENERAL USEFUL WEBSITES
PRACTICE PAPERS FOR EXAM BOARDS
GUIDES AND WEBSITES BY SUBJECT
A word of caution on revision guides:
- First check what course your child is completing - what examination board? What course code? The revision guides mentioned below may not be appropriate for your child's specifications.
- Revision guides should not be a substitute for revising from course notes, relevant textbooks and for completing past papers.
- Revision guides are not advisable for all subjects - for subjects such as History, Music and Drama where there is a lot of choice on the specification you may find that only a small amount of the revision guide may actually be relevant.
DESIGN AND TECHNOLOGY
- There are some good quiz type websites for D&T on Materials Blockbuster Game featuring D&T Material questions on Materials, Wood, Metal and Plastic http://www.teachers-direct.co.uk/resources/quiz-busters
- Course book for AQA - AQA D&T Resistant Materials Technology
- Good revision guides from CGP eg CGP GCSE D&T Resistant Materials (AQA Spec)
- GCSE Literature - York Notes on set books are one of the best of the available series at this level. Check which exam board and which text your child is using.
- GCSE Language - student books are available eg AQA student book, but again, check which exam board and specification.
- A-Level - The York Notes especially written for A-Level will offer something useful on pretty much any mainstream set text. The Phillip Allan AS and A2 Guides on a number of set books are also good.
- For a good guide to writing well, try Elements of Style by Strunk and White.
- A useful website is Novel Guide http://www.novelguide.com
- For GCSE try CGP revision guides for each subject, remembering to check exam board and specification.
- For AS and A2 try the OCR Revise Geography published by Heinemann and the Student Unite Guides published by Philip Allan Updates.
INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY (ICT)
- With any Maths revision book, look out for a work book (pages of notes and formulae are all well and good, but in Maths effective revision is all about working through lots of practice questions.) The CGP revision books are a perennial favourite and good for Maths revision at any stage.
- Encourage your child to log on to MyMaths.com http://www.mymaths.co.uk and to use it! It is useful for revision specific topics or broader areas of the Maths curriculum. You can search it by topic or by level. The booster packs are great for revision and your child's teacher will be able to tell you which one he/she should be using.
The following web-based resources are very useful for all age groups:
Languages Online http://www.languagesonline.org.uk
BBC Bitesize http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/bitesize
A Level vocabulary revision - Wort fuer Wort, Mot a mot, Parola per Parola, Palabra por Palabra.
A Level grammar workbooks - Zeitgeist 1, Elan 1 and Animo.
Quizlet and Memrise
- For AS Politics try AS UK Government and Politics Exam Revision Notes by Patrick Walsh-Atkins, particularly if your child has not managed to take adequate or clearly structured notes throughout the year.
- For A2 Politics (USA) try the Unit 3 and Unit 4 Workbooks published by Phillip Allan. They can be worked through by the student themselves and are excellent for cementing the basics.
- Also for A2 Politics Political Ideologies Exam Revision Notes, 2nd Edition, Hodder by Daniel Woodley.
We follow the AQA Specification (AS: 7407, A2: 7408).