Kingsmead's current vacancies are shown below:
Post: Aim Higher Mentor & UCAS co-ordinator
Grade: Scale: S01 (pro rata) Hrs: 36 per week, 40 weeks
Responsible to: Learning Director of Sixth Form
Purpose of Job
The primary role of the Aim Higher Mentor is to support Sixth Form students as they prepare to move to the next stage of their educational development. This includes leading the support of the UCAS application process. The mentor also carries a responsibility for supporting the whole school careers programme.
Essential personal qualities needed for this position include: excellent ability to interact with students from diverse backgrounds in a professional, caring manner; a proactive approach to seeking further opportunities and initiative in developing links with external providers.
- Develop ‘pathways’ for all students in terms of aspirational information about where their particular line of study could lead in terms of career pathways and aspirational university choice
- Lead & develop the system supporting the UCAS process for Year 12 > 13. This should include the information gathering from staff & advice for students surrounding the UCAS ‘personal statement’ process.
- Support all A’ level students in the UCAS procedure and application; registering, monitoring, completing personal statements, university tests preparation (BMAT, LNAT etc).
- Develop awareness from Year 7 of pathways to high achieving courses/Russell group universities.
- Promote and assist students in applying to HEAPS, The Sutton Trust and The Social Mobility Foundation and other related HE events and opportunities.
- Support A Level students with applications for apprenticeships, jobs, traineeships, scholarships, summer schools and any other opportunities.
- Arrange mock university interviews. Collect and collate feedback on actual university interviews to prepare students in future.
- Attend Sixth Form trips, Career Days and UCAS Conventions.
- Oversee the establishment and running of career-focused societies.
Maintenance of communication between external providers, school & parents.
- Liaise with and support the work of careers advisors
- Advance planning for student interviews with external advisor (including university mock interviews)
- Attend year team meetings to convey information to tutors as appropriate.
- Liaise with parents, inviting their participation in discussion at careers interviews if & when appropriate.
- Establish links to National Careers Services website via school VLE. Include links to Kingsmead alumni
- Arrange for external speakers to come in and talk to Sixth Form Students about HE.
- Assist in organising and attending university trips for lower school (LSE and SOMA trips).
- Organise careers fairs, for example on drop down days.
- Supervise students study periods in the Y12 study room
- Meet Sixth Form students on a one-to-one basis to support them with subjects, study skills and progression.
- Produce summaries for external scrutiny e.g. OfSTED.
- Help organise the Sixth Form contribution to the wider community by organising charity events.
- Organise the UCAS Library; ordering prospectuses and relevant literature and keeping displays current
- Organise and run Year 13 student finance application sessions.
- Attend and produce information and displays for Year 12 and 13 Parents Evening, Year 12 Open Evening and Year 9 Preference Evening.
- Update career-related and aspirational displays and information boards in and around the sixth form area.
- Assist with general administrative tasks involved in the Sixth Form during enrolment, induction and busy periods.
Deadline for applications: 16th November 2018
Start Date: End of Autumn Term 2018
Please download and complete the Support Staff Application Form below and return by post,
FOA: Mr P Plowman, Kingsmead School, 196 Southbury Road, Enfield EN1 1YQ
Alternatively you can scan and email to firstname.lastname@example.org or deliver in person to the above address.
Kingsmead School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to share this commitment.
Successful candidates will be required to undergo the necessary Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
Please read the explanation of how our school values affect the way we run the school.
Support Staff Application Form